Here you can find an overview of the daily sessions in 2018 :
Session 1: 9 Tutorial classes
Each morning starts with a tutorial class. To benefit fully from the tutorial classes, it is important to prepare the set music in advance.
Five of these are for those wishing to focus predominantly on solo repertoire:
- Advanced 1 Emma Murphy
- Advanced 2 Tom Beets
- Intermediate 1MH (Grades 6-8) Michelle Holloway
- Intermediate 1MU (Grades 6-8) Moira Usher
- Intermediate 2 (Grades 5-6) Annemarie Klein
- Intermediate 3 (Grades 2-4) Sandra Foxall
There will also be three tutorials for those who prefer ensemble playing, as follows:
- Advanced Chamber Orchestra (Grades 8+) Joris Van Goethem
- Upper Intermediate Ensemble (Grades 6-8) Helen Hooker
- Intermediate Ensemble (Grades 4-5) Marion Scott
Sessions 2 and 5: Ensembles
Twice a day there will be 5 or 6 ensembles, running concurrently, graded in order of difficulty. Each day the ensembles change. Students are free to attend whichever they choose and only need to decide the day before. This will give everyone the opportunity to work with all members of staff and play a wide variety of music.
Sessions 3 and 4: Afternoon options
These options run through the week, except Monday when the Flanders Recorder Quartet will be taking sessions and Wednesday. Music will be provided for all of these sessions. Options are chosen about two months before the course and more details will be available at that time. For information, the options will be as follows:
- Multi Choir (Sandra Foxall): An opportunity for players of all standards to enjoy music for two or more choirs of recorders. (All levels)
- Playing A Fantasia (Joris Van Goethem): Keywords are: imaginative invention, Byrd, flexibility, Bach, analysis, complex rhythm, Purcell, forget the barlines. (Grades 6+)
- Ganassi’s Divisions and How to Use Them (Emma Murphy): We will be looking at diminutions by Sylvestro di Ganassi from his treatise, ‘Fontegara’ and applying them to music. (Grades 6+)
- The Fashionable Fugue (Annemarie Klein): An exploration of the origins and developments of the fugue from the Renaissance onward. (Grades 5+)
- Folk Music (Michelle Holloway): Explore some folk tunes from across the continents. Be prepared to dabble with odd time signatures and learning by ear. (Grades 4+)
- Advanced Recorder Orchestra (Tom Beets): An opportunity for experienced orchestral players to work intensively on recorder orchestra repertoire. (Grades 7+)
- Intermediate Recorder Orchestra (Helen Hooker): An opportunity for intermediate level players to explore the delights of playing in a recorder orchestra. (Grades 4+)
- Largo Cantabile /Presto – the techniques of playing baroque music (Marion Scott): Including the passions, ornamentation, rhetoric and basso continuo (Grades 6+)
- Introduction to Unbarred (Moira Usher): For those who have never ventured into the territory of playing unbarred music or have been put off on previous attempts! Don’t worry, it will be a nice and easy start. Experienced “unbarred“ players are also very welcome. (All levels)
70th Anniversary Concert with FRQ
This year we are very lucky to be able to have the Flanders Recorder Quartet do our special anniversary concert. They have managed to make tme in their very busy final tour to come and do workshops with us on Monday afternoon as well as our concert on Monday evening. The concert is included in the price for participants. There will also be a limited number of tickets available for non-participants at £20 each. Please email Josee, our administrator, if you would like to buy some.
There is an informal students’ concert on Friday evening.
Recorder Music Mail will have a well-stocked music shop, including all music required at the School. The Early Music Shop will sell recorders, other early instruments and CDs. Julie Dean will also be at the course with the Recorder Shop London! However, please don’t assume RSS’s endorsement of any of these services. Any transactions made are at your own risk.
The fees include all tuition, accomodation and food.
Residential Ensuite: £775
Residential Standard: £740
Non-residential: £580 (includes all meals except breakfast)